Complete the following tasks between now and next week to help your learning:
- Complete the exercises set out in the ‘making a commitment to change’ section. You can use the worksheet to help you record your:
- Reasons for change
- Pros and cons of change, and
- Self-contract and goal setting
- Over the coming week, use the Anger Diary to take note of the following when you get angry:
- Trigger situations
- Unhelpful thoughts
- Emotions (are there any other emotions underlying the anger?)
- Physical sensations
Big changes start with small steps
Often, we have a vision of what we want to achieve, and we expect ourselves to get there in one big leap. This is not only unrealistic, but it is super unfair! Remember, our goal in anger management therapy is not to get rid of anger, but to learn DBT for anger skills and be able to manage anger more effectively. Throughout this course, we encourage you to acknowledge the small steps you take towards this goal each day, no matter how insignificant they may seem.
Start right now by congratulating yourself on getting to the end of the Week 1 educational content. We think this is an accomplishment that is worth celebrating, so see if you can set aside some time to reward yourself for your efforts.
See you next week!