As you have learned, the overarching aim of emotion regulation skills is to help you better manage your emotions. This includes helping you learn how to influence your emotional state, tolerate painful emotions, and express them in effective ways. Emotion regulation skills can do this by helping you to:
- Recognise and understand your emotions so they feel less threatening
- Decrease the frequency, intensity, and duration of unwanted emotions by preventing them or changing their course
- Decrease your vulnerability to emotion dysregulation by tending to your own needs
- Better tolerate painful emotions when they show up, and
- Manage painful emotions effectively without acting impulsively or making things worse.
Remember the states of mind from last week? Emotion regulation skills aim to help us reduce our vulnerability to Emotion Mind, so that we can find balance in Wise Mind.