Week 2 Recap
Welcome back to the Overcoming Perfectionism Course. Last week we covered the following topics on perfectionism:
- Learning your ABC’s (activating event, beliefs, consequences)
- The feedback loop between thoughts, feelings and behaviours
- What are automatic thoughts?
- How to recognise automatic thoughts
- Where do automatic thoughts come from?
- Unhelpful thinking styles
- Cognitive skills for overcoming perfectionism
- Examining the evidence
- The continuum technique
- Rules vs. preferences
- Pie charts
- Challenging core beliefs
- Letting go
We covered a lot of ground last week, so you may need to revisit Week 2 to refresh your memory.
Action Plan Review
Your action plan for last week was to:
- Use your Perfectionism Diary with Alternative Thoughts to record the ABC and D of your perfectionism. In other words, we got you to record when, where and how your perfectionism showed up in the past week. We also encouraged you to use the cognitive skills from Week 2 to challenge your unhelpful automatic thoughts. The Examining the Evidence worksheet was designed to help you with this.
How did you go?
If you completed your action plan, well done! Looking at your Perfectionism Diary, what types of automatic thoughts did you have? Were there any unhelpful thinking styles you tended to get caught up in? How did you go with trying to challenge your unhelpful thoughts? Take a moment to reflect on what you learned before jumping into the education content for this week.
If you didn’t get a chance to complete these tasks, we encourage you to go back and do so before taking on Week 3.
Week 3 Outline
This week we will explore another part of the perfectionism cycle – your behaviour. You will learn more about how your behaviour can either maintain perfectionism or put a stop to it. As you learnt last week, there is a feedback loop between your thoughts, feelings and behaviours. This week you will learn skills to reverse the negative feedback loop that drives perfectionism. These new skills will help you to create a new, more helpful feedback loop which promotes more balance in your life.